Thursday, January 29, 2009

Finishing the Dedicant Journey, and beginning the next...

What a journey.

These past few months, as I have said several times (kind of ad nauseum), have been amazing. I can't believe the growth that I have seen in myself! And at my age!

I have been asked to create a Hellenic rite for 3CGs Spring Equinox. I have a basic rite that I perform for devotionals with added cowbell for high days that follows the COoR. All I had to do was edit!

Spring Equinox is in honor of Persephone in an obscure holiday called Anthesphoria, or The Festival of the Flowers. Persephone is returning from the Underworld, and similarly to the Country Dionysia, each area celebrated at a local discretion when there were enough flowers to pick and make wreaths to hang on farm equipment and the like, so the Goddess would bless their growing season. Buying flowers for this was considered blasphemous. This is not a highly documented rite. Most information you will find about it is in the history of the Roman Florisertum, or Flower Festival, of which Anthesphoria is a precursor. Also, it was mostly carried out by the women and children and not directly tied to the state. No taxes, no records. You know how it goes.

So, in honor of my lady, Persephone, I wrote a rite with her as the Deity of the Occasion. I will still have to edit when I know what exactly the grove wants to do for the workings portion. They had said something about blessing tools and the like. But now that the main part of the rite is done, we can nit-pick it to death at the next liturgy meeting.

I am very grateful to have a grove that is allowing me to hijack a rite and perform it in a foreign hearth culture. I am part of the grove. I am part of the grove family. I am at home, and asking me to DIC this rite is proof of reciprocity.

Also, this is the last rite I need to cover for my DP. What a way to end the cycle! I began at Beltaine last year as a solitary with no intention of ever joining a grove, and I am ending with Spring Equinox as a full grove member and DIC to boot! It is almost too much, but I actually feel like I am ready. Not like the Yule fiasco *shudders*.

It is humbling to look back at the gifts I have been given on this journey. Since beginning the Dedicant path, the Kindred have given me everything I have asked for. Everything. I will probably weep through my Dedicant Oath (Druid moon in March!) because of it, but I don't care. May my tears be a gift to my gods.

What a journey.

No comments: