Tuesday, July 23, 2013

On Recognition.

There are those who say that recognition should not be the focal point of an endeavor. There are those who say that recognition should never be expected nor desired. There are even those who say that recognition takes away from the work one has done. And then there is me.

Recognition is a “thank you.” It means, “We appreciate all that you have done for us, all that you have accomplished, because it was meaningful to us.” Recognition is a gift.

I agree that recognition is not the point of an endeavor, but there are circumstances under which it should be expected. I agree that recognition should not be the focal point, even in hindsight, of any of our accomplishments. But, I disagree wholly and entirely that recognition will ever diminish a finished product, particularly if that piece is the result of talent and hard work.

Today, I was recognized for some of the accomplishments I have made in my studies of the bardic arts. Was this my goal all along? Of course not. My goal was to become a better and more useful Bard and enhance what talent I have. Does it matter that this is a standard-issue for others who complete this path of study, the “expected” certificate of completion? Absolutely not. Does it make the work less meaningful? Not at all. I learned more than I can recount in my years of study thus far.

Do you know what matters? I got these certificates in the mail today that give the Ranks and Dates Achieved for ADF Journeyman Bard and ADF Master Bard, and the first thing I wanted to do after I beheld and basked in their glow was begin to write. I look at these and am reminded of the months and months I spent writing and rewriting and singing and playing guitar, and it encourages me in a very real and very tangible way to spend more months writing and singing and sharing with all of you.

It’s a circle. We creators create and share. The appreciation we receive for the work we have done motivates us to create and share more. Recognition is just a part of the circle of creativity.

Thank you to everyone who has ever supported or encouraged me. It has made this road-less-traveled a far better journey.

No comments: