Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Two Things...

As I've watched the reactions to the overturning of Roe v. Wade this Summer Solstice season, I find myself reflecting on how we respond to the world around us, our "rules of engagement," so to speak. 

I've come to two conclusions that might seem contradictory.

  1. I am not special. Yes, there are “special” things about me, a collection of traits that make me who I am, but other people have some of those same traits in various combinations, and when everyone is special in the same ways, no one is special. This realization has helped me let go of the jealousy and envy that hurt my ego when I was young. I’m good enough, not special, and this is very freeing. It allows me to be even more happy to see others succeed at doin’ stuff.

  2. Long-standing problems without clear solutions or enough buy-in from the people who could make a change can make you bitter. The bigger struggle in life is doing what I can, making peace with what I can’t, and staying compassionate and gentle as well as strong while putting pressure on those who can make that change. 

I guess my point is to let go of ego, accept your lovely self just as you are, push on those who can make things better when you can’t do it yourself, and stay connected, always, to your compassion, for yourself and for others. 

May the light of the sun continue to bring illumination and understanding to us all. 

No comments: