Thursday, May 8, 2008

Family has a way of taking advantage of you.

It has been difficult, these past few months. I am broke, and I am almost at the end of my wits. But strangely, I am still happy.

My sister moved in with us in March. Now, keep in mind, there are five of us in my family…and a dog. Well, there are also five of them…and a parrot (a loud, obnoxious, messy parrot).

I was expecting them to be closer to getting out of my house by now, but I can see that I am going to have to be the creator of their destinies very shortly in order for any change to occur. (I do admit that I cannot be too angry with the lapse in time. My sister had several trips to the EMR where she finally found out that she has a hypoactive thyroid condition, but she is medicated for that now.)

The problem I am having is that I have given them everything they have asked for, and yet any money around my house that I had anywhere is now missing. The money from my room, a twenty from my purse, all the money that wasn’t pennies from my kids’ bank, it’s all gone. I kinda knew this was going to happen. I was just hoping that with me things would be different.

I am glad that we have spent some time together, finally. We have been rather estranged for many years. It has also been excellent for the kids, and it is almost worth it just to see them getting along so well. Almost. I love the fact that everyone is getting to know one another, but I just can't shake the dread I feel when I think about the money. It's not even about the money, really. All in all, it's over $70, but it is so much more than that. I have given them everything they have asked me for. I have not said no to them unless I physically did not have it to give. And still, they found it necessary to steal from me. I opened my home, the home I so carefully built from the bottom up with my loving, and handling this wonderfully, husband. Well, at least I can say I tried. It bit me in the bottom, but I tried my best to help them change.

So, here’s to shame on me. I hope that after this, my karma bill is paid in full…..

No comments: