Thursday, August 28, 2008

Kindergarten and College.

Well, I did it. I took my daughter to her first day of kindergarten today. She is so sweet and cute and little; can she really be ready for school? The answer to this question is a resounding, "yes."

My son, Patrick, who is now 9 and in the fourth grade, cried piteously when I took him to school, AND I had to literally drag him to school for the next two weeks before he broke and realized he was just going to have to go. Not Jessie. She walked in there like she owned the place. It makes my heart feel full to see her so confident and self-assured. I know she will do well. She is bright and determined (nice way of saying stubborn, haha). I am so proud of her. I am also proud of myself as I did not cry one bit (a feat for me)!

I finally got my youngest son, Timmy's school assignment, and his new teacher is coming over to do an in-home evaluation on Tuesday. I am nervous to send my baby off to yet another school for therapy/pre-school, but I know it is important. I am hoping for some good progress this year. Autism is not a disease that needs cured, but it is a disability for which he must learn to compensate. He has come farther than I hoped over the long summer days with speech and communication in general. Here's hoping for a good year!

I, too, officially registered for classes. I am finishing my bachelor's degree in medical laboratory technology through an online program at the University of Cincinnati. I am a little nervous; I have not attended any classes in SEVERAL years, but I have high expectations of myself. (Don't we all? Why not Excellence?)

I hope that as we come down from our summer highs and wind down into the darker and quieter time of the year that we can all remain productive and full of joy. This summer has been one that will forever be special to me--it is the year of my homecoming, and the first year of the rest of my life, cliched as that is. I look forward to getting to know all of you better and see where this path will lead us!

Now, off to finish my article...

No comments: