Monday, October 27, 2008

Putting yourself out there.

I have been a musician for most of my life. Correction, publicly I have been a cover musician for most of my life. I have written a few pieces, but very rarely have I shared them with others. I tend to pour myself into these pieces, and I have difficulties with pride (mostly) when it comes to sharing. So I don't. I don't play original music or post lyrics or poems. I find it easier to never share them than to be met with criticism. There are many psychological reasons for this, but mostly, I would rather not share at all then have someone tell me that what I created, what I gave life to, is bad.

Recently, I wrote a song, and I posted it. And only one person replied, who loved it. I still reread some of the words he said about my song as inspiration to share more of my work. Well, today I finally figured out how to make a recording, and I posted that, too, and either no one has bothered to listen to it, or no one likes it, or it is too mediocre to receive comment. Or any number of things that are going through my head right now. So someone, anyone on the Bards list, please listen to my song. It doesn't matter if you like it, just let me know you cared enough to listen.

I have learned today that silence is the worst criticism I can receive, because it opens me up to criticize myself...

No comments: