Friday, December 18, 2009

ADF Elections

Let me be the first to say that I was very surprised to be nominated. I have been considering the possibility of running for this position some time in the future, but I assumed I haven't really been around long enough for this.

I spent some time in meditation and pulled some runes, to see where the voice of the Kindred would lie:
Should I run for Member's Advocate? Othala. Well, that seems to be a "yes."
I then pulled one rune from each of the Kindred:
Shining Ones: Berkano
Nature Spirits: Hagalaz
Ancestors: Jera
Taken together, I see that the election experience will be a worthwhile (read: fertile) endeavor for me. Regardless of whether or not I win, it seems that there is great purpose in the process. Of course, it won't be all cake and ice cream (haha), but I will reap benefits from what I have sown. Plant, endure, harvest. I am pleased with that.

I have spent a great deal of time considering my ability to carry out the duties of the Member's Advocate. I won't run for anything unless I am sure I can actually do the job, should I happen to win. I know you, my livejournal friends, have seen me vent a lot of the emotions I tend to carry in regards to the terrible things that happen to other people, and I was a bit concerned that my previous posts may have a negative impact, but the more I thought about it, the more I have come to believe that those posts show my empathy. They show that people come to me with their problems and that I am more than willing to help them all to the best of my abilities--and sometimes beyond. (I secretly love it when people ask me for help. Shh!)

The best news? Before I decided to accept the nomination, I also had a lengthy conversation with my non-Druid husband. He said that as long as I remember that I have a family, he will support me in whatever decision I make. Even when I told him that winning would mean I absolutely had to go to Wellspring, he said, "Well, you wanted to go to that anyway, didn't you?" Yep. I even have Jeremy's stamp of approval.

With so many candidates nominated who have more longevity than me, I know that a win on my part would be just shy of a miracle, but I hope the process will help me to grow and will reflect positively on my Grove family and ADF. I have already gotten some interesting comments from some of my work friends and more distant family members in regards to my facebook announcement. :) If nothing else, this will completely out me as a pagan. And that's a good thing. Scary, yes, but good.

Good luck to all the candidates!

No comments: